Thursday, June 30, 2011

I'll Take You All On!

I am not sure what people expect when they go to a Michael Bay movie. An uber deep, sophisticated and emotional movie that makes you rethink your life? I don't have any idea. I personally go to a movie to be entertained. I go to be told a story. I go to be taken somewhere else for 2 hours. It is an escape. Michael Bay does that for me. And Transformers: Dark of the Moon is no exception. This movie was absolutely awesome! Completely blew my socks off. It had the best 3D since Avatar. It wasn't any of this post-conversion garbage. The movie was actually filmed with 3D cameras. Sucked you right into the scenes.


I am a huge fan of all three Transformers movies. They are the kind of movies I cam watch over and over again. I guess it helps that Optimus Prime has always been somewhat of a hero of mine. His selflessness. His Heroism. Just how he is always ready to step in when trouble starts. And ready to sacrifice himself for any of his friends. Maybe that is what impressed me the most about these movies. They really did an excellent job at bringing Optimus to life. Maybe it's also Peter Cullen's voice combined with some of the best CGI ever seen on film. Just creates something amazing. You really do believe that these huge transforming robots are real characters and have personalities.

The action scenes in Dark of the Moon are completely insane. Most movies don't make my jaw drop, but I had 3 or 4 moments like that during this movie. There is this one scene where some Decepticon Suburbans are chasing some Autobots down a highway. Sam is riding in Bumblebee and cars are flying all over the place! Bumblebee smashes into a truck that is carrying metal barrels and propane tanks. Sam and Bumblebee and the truck and its cargo are all launched through the air. Bumblebee is knocking and pushing tanks and metal debris out of Sam's way, all in slow motion! Bee grabs Sam in mid air, transforms with Sam inside of him still screaming. It's one of those scenes you just have to see. Crazy stuff going on all over the place.


There are quite a few great scenes in Dark of the Moon. Some exciting, some quite funny, some even sad and scary. It really was an all around great movie. There are a few very cool nods to the old cartoon too. One character named Que (Wheeljack in the cartoon) has a pretty intense scene with Bumblebee. I won't go into details, but it was just great how these two interacted together. After all they were the very first Transformers shown in the cartoon.  Awesome stuff. There is a scene with Lazerbeak sitting on Soundwave's shoulder, there are Space Bridges, and even a reference to Cosmic Rust. Some great homage to a great cartoon. All in all, this movie was an incredible ride. So many great scenes, ei; The very first shot of Prime driving with his trailer through Chernobyl, while a building is being flattened behind him. The first time Megatron transforms, and when a giant robotic worm destroys a huge building. Summer movie at it's finest! Don't go expecting to have your life changed, but expect to have a great time eating popcorn and enjoying a fun time at the movies. This movie really showed me why I love movies so much. Because they are loads of fun, if you let them be. Watch them for what they are meant to be; entertainment.

3 comments:

  1. Amanda and I will have to check this one out next week, didn't like number 2 at all, but number 3 sounds promising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Number 2 was ok, at best. It was actually like trying to follow a kid with ADD in a toy store. All over the place with no real direction. This thrid one is the best of the trilogy. I am taking Jordan to the AVX theatre to see it.

    ReplyDelete