Sunday, April 22, 2012

Dad, After This Can We Throw Dirt In My Window?

You might not know it from my blog, but I love to read. The thing is though, that I just can't find a lot of time to read! And because of that, it ends up taking me quite some time to finish a book. But nonetheless, I love to read. When I was younger I hated to read, my school teachers and my mom had a terrible time getting me to open a book. That is until I starting hitting my early teens, when something clicked for me, and I couldn't find enough books to read. It probably had something to do with the amazing conection between the written word and my imagination.


So since it take me a little longer to finish a book, I have become a little picky and selective of what books I read. I didn't know much about the Princess of Mars series other than it was written in the early 1900's. I did know the basic premise, but as far as details go, I only knew what I gathered from passing conversations or a random article or review. It never really seemed like enough to really peak my interest, for whatever reason. That is until I watched Disney's John Carter...


I went to see John Carter when it first came out in theatres. And despite critics hating it and it's unusually poor performance at the box office, I thought it was a great movie! I really loved it. I'm not going to say it was the greatest movie I have ever seen, or say that it was a perfect movie. But it was a real fun movie! Something about it just felt like the old sci-fi movies I grew up watching and loving.  It had some really exciting scenes, great action, and some pretty funny parts (most of those had to do with John's massive-mouthed alien dog Woola) This movie really took me to another place (another planet actually) Introduced me to interesting characters, and told me an exciting story and gave me an interest to know more about Barsoom! Which has now brought me to the books (I think there is a total of 11 books in the series) It is kind of funny, because normally I will have read the book before the movie, but this time it is reverse. I am pretty excited to start the book, and see how close the movie followed the source material. I'll probably start it on our trip in a few weeks.

_____________


And on an unrelated note, I receantly watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind again. It has been 10 years since I have seen it last, and I have to say it is an equally amazing film now as it was the first time I saw it. Just awesome!




4 comments:

  1. Tarzan in space, isn't it? Same author in any case.

    Regarding Close Encounters, my wife doesn't understand my fascination with that film. I found the 30 year anniversary DVD somewhere for cheap. If you have a choice of which cut, which version, to watch, find the Director's Cut, that's the version with 'COTAPAXI', the ship in the desert. I think that's the best version, I think it may lose some of it's charm, it cuts a lot of Roy's character development, but it's the best version, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, same author. I suppose in some ways it is Tarzan in space. I remember trying to read the old Tarzan book, can't remember it though.

    My wife doesn't understand any of my fascinations with films, "Close Encounters, what is that? Another alien movie?" lol. I have it on Bluray, which has the theatrical, special edition and Director's cut versions on it. I watched theatrical first, and will eventually watch the others. Sometimes Director's cuts just make the movie all that much greater. Like the Abyss' Director's cut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or Kingdom of Heaven. The Ridley Scott film. The original wasn't great, but then they released Scott's Director's Cut which was like a 3 hour epic, monster. Arguably his greatest film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree, the Director's Cut for Kingdom of Heaven was amazing! Leaps and bounds better then what was released into the theatres.

    ReplyDelete