Saturday, March 17, 2012

Mother! I've Turned The Cooling Unit Back On. Mother!

(Wow! I haven't been here for a while!)

Science fiction has always been one of my favorite genres in movies. Although, I can’t pinpoint the first time that I fell in love with it. I would probably bet money that it was in fact Star Wars that brought me into the world (or worlds?) I just have a love for stories that are larger than life, that span galaxies and bring into ‘reality’ things that could never really exist.  Like when the Rebel Alliance set out with their S-Foils in attack position to attack the Death Star.  Or when Dr. Alan Grant holds a living baby Raptor in his hands for the first time. Or when Lindsey, Bud and the rest of the crew first in counter the aquatic, shape-shifting alien being. Or when T-800 first appears in a lighting storm sphere from the future. I love that stuff. And the list could go on and on!

And one of my all time favorite movie would have be Alien, I still remember vividly the first time I saw it. I waited up until 1 in the morning to watch it on TV with my brothers. And it really blew me away. It might have had something to do with me being so dead tired at the time! And yet I couldn't stop watching. It was a perfect blend of a sci-fi/monster/suspense/horror movie. The movie's tone and creepy atmosphere made you continually feel uneasy at all times. Not knowing what was coming next or if what was hunting you would show up behind you. Ah yes, and the face-huggers! Those crazy bugs! Ridley Scott truly made a sci-fi masterpiece!  One that has become an iconic film and really set the bar for all who would follow.

This June will bring the return of Ridley Scott to the genre I love so much with the movie, Prometheus. And it looks nothing less that amazing! Not very much is know about the plot of the movie. At first it started out as a prequel to Alien, but eventually changed into it's own film. Scott has said that it does take place in the same 'Alien universe" and has some connections to the film, but will follow it's own path. And he has also confirmed that there won't be any Xenomorphs in the film. Nevertheless from what the trailers show, the film looks amazing and that we're in for quite a crazy ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment